Notifications
Clear all

Stamp 0 approval from US

25 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@russ)
Topic starter  

My wife and I are intending to move to Ireland for 1 year to visit my daughter and son-in-law and our grand babies (all US citizens). I've noticed that many people seem to be waiting until they get to Ireland to apply for Stamp 0 approval. We are intending to lease a house for a year, so that doesn't seem appropriate for us. We don't want to sign a lease until we're sure we can stay.

Does anyone have experience applying from the US? Is hiring an attorney helpful? How did you find your Irish accountant to certify your financials? And the police report? How does one go about obtaining that? Sorry for what might seem silly questions, but having communicated with Unit 2, I'm hoping you'll understand my anxiety.

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

@russ

Hi Russ.  Welcome to the site. 

The official info from INIS still says people must apply “in writing”. Other info appears to require that it be from within Ireland but from what I can tell that may have changed recently.  We badly need official clarification.  Apparently, another reader here was able to apply from Canada.  See here https://irelandmoveclub.com/community/ireland-move-club-members-forum/stamp-0-person-of-independent-means-questions/paged/2/#post-1812

@rose can you share any more info on this for us? A picture of the letter you received would be great!

Also @jaconaty1 was one of more recent applicants.  Maybe you too can shed some more light on your situation Jeanine?

Russ, having spoke with numerous applicants over the last number of years, most said hiring an attorney wouldn’t really have helped their situation.  The process mostly involves a lot of document/evidence gathering, which you will do yourself anyway.  

As regards an accountant I do have the contact info of two who others on here have used.  I’m happy to share those via email with you if you wish.  

Someone else offered info on the police report.  Let me find it and I’ll post a link here to it.  

Again, welcome, and rest assured these are not silly questions.  Everyone seems to have the same difficulties, no doubt in part due to the lack of info from the relevant authority.  

Liam

ReplyQuote
(@jaconaty1)
Eminent Member

@moveclubadmin

Russ,

Welcome to the group, it was invaluable to me in preparing to apply.  

I submitted my application shortly after arriving in Ireland.  As Liam noted, there was much preparation in document and data collection in the months leading up to my trip.  

I collected state police record (FL), FBI report (more involved), financial statements, excel spreadsheet (sample provided on this blog by previous applicant) reflecting income and expenses with euro conversion, obtained health insurance in Ireland, copied every page of my passport, etc.

About a month before leaving the states I engage an accountant in Cork, sent my spreadsheet and financial statements via email, and followed up to schedule an appointment upon my arrival.  I met with the accountant within a week of my arrival to obtain the “certified” financial statement to submit with my application.  I promptly mailed my application via registered post from Killarney on May 17th.  A request came back from INIS requesting a copy of my birth certificate; fortunately I had my birth certificate with me (this was never mentioned anywhere in the requirements or in this blog - but I every case is unique).  All documentation was received by INIS on May 23rd.

I was then in Croatia, Italy and France for most of June. My approval letter arrived on exactly the 90th day from my arrival in Ireland.

Sorry, I can’t speak to the possibility of submitting your via mail from outside of Ireland.  I was traveling here and scheduled the appointment with the accountant, so this was my process.

I’m happy to assist further if you need.  

ReplyQuote
(@jaconaty1)
Eminent Member

Russ, 

I’m sure you State has a State department of law enforcement (FL is FDLE - Florida department of law enforcement).

The accountant worked with is Dave O’Brien with Quintas in Cork.  He was quite agreeable and easy to work with from the states.

I wish I could offer advice on renting or leasing prior to receiving residency approval.  It is a bizarre process that leaves you in limbo until you receive the letter of approval and complete the process.

Again, happy to help if I can.

ReplyQuote
(@russ)
Topic starter  

@moveclubadmin

thanks Liam and thanks for running this forum, which has been so helpful in getting ready for our move. and thanks Jeanine for the advice.

This post was modified 5 years ago by russ parsons

ReplyQuote
 Rose
(@rose)

@Liam

@russ

I submitted my application from Canada, Oct 2018.  However, no more news until I emailed them in mid-March 2019.  Then, INIS asked me whether I would like to receive the letter in Dublin or Canada.  I told them I was in Canada and they DHL the approval letter to Canada.  That's it!

Hope it helps!

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

@rose

thank you Rose. Extremely valuable info. 

ReplyQuote
(@russ)
Topic starter  

thanks guys!

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)

Russ

I left a similar post on another forum on Stamp 0, so this will duplicate some of that same info.  We did apply from the US via international Priority Mail.  We receive a regular speed letter from INIS in the US just short of three weeks.   Didn’t expect that quick of response.  

Since Rose was successful gaining approval of her financials without an Irish accountant certification, we tried to copy her approach since our pension income statements have a similar government certification.  Didn’t work....guessing it just depends on which reviewer you get.   But the good news is that the accountant certification is the only outstanding item. 

In terms of our police report, we had requested the County Sheriff run a background check.  The State Police required fingerprints and it just seemed like a lot of work.   My suggestion just like the health declaration is keep it simple and try easy path first.  

Glad to answer more questions.  

ReplyQuote
(@johnk)

@moveclubadmin

Hi Liam

i would also be interested in referral to the two accountants you mentioned in your post.  Thanks

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: