Notifications
Clear all

Stamp 0 for Non-EEA dependent

Page 3 / 3

Kevin Callaghan
(@kevincallaghan)
Trusted Member

Not every solicitor will demand a consultation fee in order to answer a few immigration questions but most do require it. Different from the US where an attorney wants to sell YOU their expertise before money is exchanged. How do you know if the solicitor is any good unless you speak with them beforehand? This is just one of the many differences been doing business in Ireland vs. the US. Would a job seeker ask for payment from the company before an interview? That's kinda the right analogy.

ReplyQuote
Kevin Callaghan
(@kevincallaghan)
Trusted Member

Not every solicitor will demand a consultation fee in order to answer a few immigration questions but most do require it. Different from the US where an attorney wants to sell YOU their expertise before money is exchanged. How do you know if the solicitor is any good unless you speak with them beforehand? This is just one of the many differences been doing business in Ireland vs. the US. Would a job seeker ask for payment from the company before an interview? That's kinda the right analogy.

Anyway, Stamp 0 is a pretty esoteric process and I doubt an immigration solicitor has much knowledge nor can help you much with the process. The rules are pretty straightforward. It's the accountant that really matters. Save the solicitor for your legal appeal if you get rejected.  Now, if an attorney can connect you to a sympathetic TD, that could be worth their fee.

ReplyQuote
Patricia Egan
(@pegan875)
Member Gold supporter

@vgupta_dub_2017 I paid an upfront fee for my initial consultation. I believe that the fee was then applied toward my account when I signed the engagement agreement. In my experience with lawyers and accountants, some require a consultation fee; some do not. Often, however, a consultation fee is applied to the account if you then become a client.

Patricia Egan, MBA, MS
Tax - Accounting - Advocacy

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: