Stamp 0 Renewal

14 Posts
6 Users
4 Likes
(@laneiger)
Topic starter  

Hello, 

I received my stamp O last summer. 

I am beginning the renewal process. I bought a home in Ireland and thus I plan to renew/stay

Has anyone done this? Any advice? 

Thanks a mil

(@kevincallaghan)
Eminent Member

Lori, I cannot give you guidance on Stamp 0 renewals although I would suggest you follow the E3 visa negotiations that are on-going with the US.  In exchange for access to thousands of US visas for the Irish, it is reported that Ireland will loosen the rules for Stamp 0 and perhaps other categories so more Americans can live or work in Ireland.  I think we will learn more in the coming months.

While we wait, would you mind telling us how your initial Stamp 0 process went?  I am curious about the following:

1. How long did it take from beginning to end?

2. How responsive was INIS is answering any questions you had?

3. Did you use the services of a solicitor? Do you recommend one?

4. Was your Irish accountant helpful in the process?  Was he/she expensive?

5. Did you work with a TD in Ireland or Congressman in the US to help you?

6. Did INIS adhere to the strict requirements of the Stamp 0 rules (income, cash, insurance, etc.) or were they willing to be flexible? 

Thanks.  Many people are confused about the process and the rules in current use and are worried about their chances of receiving the visa.  Best wishes, Kevin

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

@laneiger see above

ReplyQuote
(@laneiger)
Topic starter  

@kevincallaghan

First - the INIS office is following all of the restrictions with opening due to the virus. Thus - they have closed doors at the moment. (some things being moved via email)

Second - it has been misrepresented on this page that one can apply from outside the country. This is NOT true. You need to be on the ground in Ireland to apply. (Canadians - something different) The legal documents clearly state that you need to be in the country. And since you need to register in person within a strict number of days upon approval - not possible if you are outside the country. 

BUT - you should prepare all your documents/application PRIOR to coming to Ireland. Some items will be difficult to get once in Ireland.  (you are running against the 90day visa limit)

I prepared everything prior such that as soon as I landed I was able to go to my Irish accountant's office for him to review and provide financial certification. 

I will try to answer your specific questions - listed above

1. How long did it take from beginning to end?

It took about 70 days for approval. (Then I had to register in Dublin county as I live in Dublin county - which is a nightmare; you should be prepared and know the registration rules/requirements of your county too)

2. How responsive was INIS is answering any questions you had?

I had no questions. I did my homework. I emailed them once to check the status of my application. They promptly answered. 

3. Did you use the services of a solicitor? Do you recommend one?

I did not use a solicitor. I used this forum and many many many hours of research to have a complete application.  (I do not think it is necessary to hire a solicitor if you can prepare everything yourself)

4. Was your Irish accountant helpful in the process?  Was he/she expensive?

I did all the documentation for him. He only had to review it and stamp off. It was 400 euro

5. Did you work with a TD in Ireland or Congressman in the US to help you?

no. There was no need.  Drank with my local TD as a good GAA member does... but did not need any assistance

6. Did INIS adhere to the strict requirements of the Stamp 0 rules (income, cash, insurance, etc.) or were they willing to be flexible? 

They ARE NOT FLEXIBLE. If you do not make the required income and have the required cash -- DO NOT APPLY. 

I have had global health insurance for many years, as well as a good travel insurance policy. 

Not mentioned in your questions are the tax issues. I STRONGLY recommend one seek a US tax advisor with a relationship with an Irish tax advisor. What you will read on-line is INCORRECT in many ways. If you want to live in Ireland more then a year or longer - you need to know how this may impact your taxes. If you are only coming for one year on a stamp 0 and going back to states... you may get away with not having to face this issue. 

If I had relied on what the internet says about Irish tax/US tax rules -- I would have had many troubles. Luckily, I got it all sorted in December.. and it was no small matter. 

Lastly,  since travel now is limited... I would wait until you can easily travel to Ireland. 

I have closely followed the E3 visa and its status - it is not clear that this will make it easier to come to Ireland for retired or people of Independent means. I doubt it will move anywhere this year. We are all dealing with the virus - I hope the government focuses on that prior to anything else. Additionally which party is in control is changing as we speak in Ireland... and that should be a priority as well. 

I hope this does not seem grim! I live here, bought a house in a village I love.  I could only be happier once I can hug all my Irish friends again.  If you know where you want to live, and love Ireland... it is worth all the hard work to avoid any disappointment. 

Best. Stay safe. 

Jeanine C and Jeanine C reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kevincallaghan)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the thorough response.  I have heard that unofficially, applications can be sent from overseas.  This is in fact one of the new rules that were published in 2016 but still not finalized. I have also heard that rules can be bent for those with political connections in Ireland and the US but I have no direct evidence of this. I do know that there were many non-EEA people living in Ireland illegally who were grandfathered when the current rules were created. These people may have met the previous requirements but not the new requirements and were adjudicated on a case by case basis.  Some were deported but some were allowed to stay. Seems completely reasonable to let people stay who to no fault of their own no longer meet the  requirements.

Things could be much more difficult for some if these new rules published in Sept. 2016  are finalized. These rules lower the financial thresholds slightly but also add quotas, age restrictions and what they call proof of a "connection to Ireland" which they don't explain but may mean a guarantor.

I know that many people support the E3 visa proposal but may not know how it could hurt their chances to immigrate to Ireland as a retiree under Stamp 0. The details of Irish concessions in exchange for changes to E3 are for some reason keep quite secret.

ReplyQuote
(@jaconaty1)
Eminent Member

@laneiger

Hi Lori!

I received my Stamp 0 last summer as well, and am preparing my renewal submission.  I am anticipating significant delays due to the virus.  I’d be interested in your experience thus far, and expectations.

Additionally, I’m curious about the tax implementations in US and Ireland.  I have talked to other Stamp 0 residents, and researched the topic, but have many varying answers.  I am retired with all funds being from investments in the US.

Happy to communicate outside of this forum if you are willing.

Thanks!

JC

ReplyQuote
(@laneiger)
Topic starter  

@jaconaty1

Hi, 

I have been following all the updates on the INIS website. 

My advice, is to submit all your paperwork at least a month in advance of your renewal date. Keep a copy - such that if you need to email it later - you will be able to do so. (there was a major change for first timers - not stamp 0 but the other stamps) 

Taxes -- I hired 'the' Irish tax expert. Her firm was amazing in helping me deal with my situation - and I had not had her expert advice --- to be honest --- some of my investments would not have complied with Irish tax laws... and this would have been a serious issue.  I also have a US tax advisor that works with the Irish expert. (you still have to file US taxes no matter what)

If you want to email me directly off line I would be happy to pass along recommendations. 

ReplyQuote
(@familyofrainbows)

@laneiger Hi Lori, I would also love to hear what accountant you used and have emailed you. Thanks so much! 

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Re-reading some of this thread, and I noticed Lori pointed out that you cannot apply for Stamp 0 while outside Ireland.  While that is true (at least at present) it is only true for citizens of visa-exempt countries e.g. USA. Applicants from non visa-exempt countries e.g. India, must apply from overseas.  

ReplyQuote
 Pam
(@pam)

Hi,

with regards to renewing the stamp zero, does one have to submit yearly finances verified by an Irish CA every time one wants to renew the visa at the end of the one year period?

Also, is the renewal done at the local garda station of the town you live in or does it go to the office of the minister of justice?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: