Notifications
Clear all

Stamp 0 person of independent means questions

140 Posts
23 Users
30 Likes
23.1 K Views
(@samb123)

@pam well I contacted solicitor they are not confident about any stamp 0 route .

For independent stamp 0 your have to prove that every year you earn 50K EUR after tax which is huge money in Indian earning .

What did your solicitor said not to process as dependent ?

Will be able to share your number to my email id samhita.bhattacharya@gmail.com

ReplyQuote
(@familyofrainbows)

@godiva1 First, Betsy, thank you so much for recommending Jim O'Donovan. He is INCREDIBLE. I would refer anyone to him. Lovely to work with and competent! We had contracted with a law firm in Dublin and got NO WHERE before cutting them loose. For those of you looking for someone on a Stamp O, a word of advice. If they only have on their website something about submitting financial info in "tabular columns" they don't know what they're doing or what's required. Jim has very specific financial reports that the INIS requires. He's successful for a reason.

ReplyQuote
(@familyofrainbows)

We have secured our Stamp O and I was wondering what advice people have on the car situation. We are currently doing a monthly car rental, but I was hoping to find a place where we could have a six month or one year car lease. I read that some people bring their cars with them, and that doesn't seem as ideal. We have a lease in the States that's nearly due. I've heard from Irish friends getting an Irish license and car insurance isn't easy on the buying side. Appreciate thoughts.

ReplyQuote
(@jaconaty1)
Eminent Member

@familyofrainbows - There are auto leasing companies in Ireland, but I cannot offer any input on the process or degree of difficulty you might encounter.  I purchased a used car at the local dealer and have never had a better car buying experience.  The car was only 2 years old so no NCT due for a couple of years.  Registration was easy enough.  Insurance will be expensive with your US license.  I did have my Learners Permit at the time, so that helped significantly.  Once I obtained my Full Irish License the insurance cost was reduced again, but not significantly.

Learners Permit challenges - covid did create a backlog for taking the Theory Test, but they may have moved this online, so it could be improving.  Once you have your permit you must have an Irish licensed driver (held full license for 2 years) with you at all times.  It is a challenging process.  I would recommend getting started ASAP.  You can drive on your US license for 1 year, then are to have your Irish license.  Between theory (written), driving lessons and actual driving tests it will likely be at least a year to complete.

as a note for your insurance, bring proof of “no claims” from you current insurance carrier(s) for No Claims Bonus on insurance,  and your driving record from your state for reduced driving lessons (6 lessons versus 12 lessons) and you won’t be required to wait 6 months from theory to actual driving test.  Though that may be the case due to backlog anyway.

Good luck!!

JC

ReplyQuote
(@laneiger)

Driver's license - the first step is getting a PPS card. I have a PPS number as I bought a home, but did not bother to get a card at the time.. now, it has been six months, and finally, they are opening for one to get a card! (I still cannot make an appointment until Monday)

My theory test has been delayed three times! I would advise booking that ASAP (can book w/o the PPS card), get the app to quiz yourself. 

The theory test MAY go online this year... it is not online yet...

Ask around to get a good instructor. That seems to be the other hurdle as they are all booked out. 

Have patience. 

ReplyQuote
(@jaconaty1)
Eminent Member

Good point about the PPS, Lori!  And good luck with your Theory Test! 

There’s a bit of a catch-22 in getting your PPS in order to get your driver license.  When I went to get my PPS for my driver application I was told that I needed my license, but you need a PPS to get your driver license.  Fortunately, the person at NDLS produced a “rejected” note stating that a PPS was needed.  PPS person was then happy and proceeded with the PPS application.  The PPS office and NDLS are only about 2 miles apart in Tralee, Co. Kerry, so it was easy enough to complete in an afternoon.

ReplyQuote
(@laneiger)

I have a PPS number because I bought a home. Since my attorney did that leg work on getting my number... I did not go to the PPS office - otherwise if I had I would have gotten the card at that time. 

Dublin was ten weeks out to get a PPS number - that was two years ago! 

I would suggest anyone call their local office before going.  

The steps do seem clear as mud!!!  Even when you think you know what to do... 

And the offices have no real idea what the others require. 

ReplyQuote
(@godiva1)

@familyofrainbows 

So glad you too found him helpful!

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

Hi all!

First, I'm just starting the Stamp 0 (person of independent means) process and I'm working with Jim O'Donovan with the review of my financial information.  He's been extremely helpful so far with answering my questions and providing info on the entire process. I'd highly recommend using him!!

Second, a question for the group (or anyone who may be in the "know") - Does anyone know if there is a timeline/deadline when you receive your first approval letter from the INIS (after submitting appropriate paperwork, etc.) to submit the initial approval letter and your passport back to INIS? 

I'm hoping to submit my Stamp 0 request in early July (after review/approval of financial records) but I'm not planning on actually arriving into Ireland until late Oct.  I suspect the INIS review of my request may take longer than "pre-Covid" but wondering if I get the approval letter back in Sept (as an example), would there be any deadline to submit the letter and my passport back to INIS to complete Step #2.  Not sure I want to send my passport BEFORE I'm scheduled to arrive into Ireland.  Any thoughts on this process and timing since Covid and restrictions, etc. have caused delays in almost everything?

Much appreciated!

John Hogan

ReplyQuote
 Pam
(@pam)

@countydonegal

Hi John

So if I understood you right, you are applying from outside Ireland, yes? My mum applied from outside Ireland in October 2020. Got approved in November exactly one month later and was given 3 months to get a visa stamp in her passport (she was coming from India, not the US so needed a visa) and enter the country. She was told to send the passport and approval letter to INIS immediately after entering the country. So no, you don't send it in until you are physically in Ireland. Due to covid, we asked for a two month extension on her three months and it was granted. So she finally arrived in Ireland in April instead of February. But this was because of travel restrictions around covid. 

Once in ireland, she got Irish health insurance and sent in passport, approval letter and proof of Irish health insurance to INIS within 10 days of landing. Passport and another letter came back to her within a week asking her to register with the local immigration officer for her IRP. 

All the best with your application!!

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 14
Share: