30 Likes
22.9 K Views
(@countydonegal)

@godiva1

Thanks, Betsy!

ReplyQuote
(@jaconaty1)
Eminent Member

Hello John.  I just obtained my Full Irish License the end of Aug, after a 5 month delay due to covid19.  It is an interesting process.  The short answer regarding  driving alone with a learners permit is, you are to be accompanied by a driver who has held an Irish license for at least 2 years.  It is an incredible inconvenience, especially after you’ve been driving for decades.  I too moved here solo...if you want to discuss this further we can chat via email.

I found insurance was far less expensive with a learner permit than with a US license.  Also, obtain proof of no claims from you current insurance provider, this will reduce your premiums further. Shop around for insurance, prices varied greatly.

Also, you can apply for reduced driver training lessons - from 12 to 6, and you can take you driving test within 6 months, assuming tests are available.  To apply for Reduced EDT you will need your driving record from your states DMV.

Great site for practice Theory Test - theory-tester.com

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

@jaconaty1

Hi Jeanine - thanks for your note and helpful info! I'm finding as the further I dig the more questions that pop up, so I really appreciate input from those who've gone through the process.

I'm interested in learning more about how you navigated the learners permit journey on your own, so I'd enjoy chatting directly (if that's permitted on this site - not sure if adding email addresses within a message is acceptable??).

Thanks again!

John

ReplyQuote
 Pam
(@pam)

Hi, I wanted to post an update on the recent application for stamp 0 for my mother.

Mom is from a visa required country, which means she had to apply from outside Ireland. We got her financial documents verified by Quintas accountants (in cork) and paid 450 plus vat. The turnaround time from quintas was one week from when she sent in her statements and they were extremely prompt and informative in their replies to all of her email queries. They know what they are doing and we strongly recommend them.

The application was received by INIS in Dublin on October 5, 2020 and on November 26, 2020, she received a letter granting her permission to reside in Ireland on a stamp 0. As she is from a visa required country, she then had to send the letter along with her passport to the Irish embassy in New Delhi for the visa to be stamped in the passport. 

Once all documents are in order, the financial requirements are met and the applicants letter outlining reasons for wanting to move over are strong, it seems to be a very straightforward process. Definitely doesn't require services of a solicitor.

Oh also, Mom does not have a birth certificate (common for people of her generation in India) and she explained this in her cover letter and they were fine with that. 

We are looking forward to having her move over and be with us here in Ireland 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@jaconaty1)
Eminent Member

Congratulations!  2 months from receipt to approval is great!

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

@pam That's great news, congrats to you and your family. 2021 off to a good start 🙂

Thanks also for the solicitor recommendation. Useful info for the next applicants. 

Safe travels to your mom when the time comes. 

ReplyQuote
 Pam
(@pam)

Hello again. I am looking to purchase private insurance for mom; would any one have any recommendations ? As she is 72, she would like a high level of cover. Is there any benefit to getting a cover that includes the mater private and blackrock in dublin? We live in waterford

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@sanu1989)

Hai,if u don't mind could u pls give ur email id...iam from india..I would like to apply stamp 0 for my parents...thanks

ReplyQuote
(@samb123)

@pam could please share your email ID ,as I will be applying for My MOM stamp 0 visa she is 75+.

So would like to know did u applied as your dependent or person of independent living .

ReplyQuote
 Pam
(@pam)

@samb123 she applied as a person of independent means for a stamp zero.

From what I have been told by a solicitor, it is very rare that an elderly dependent parent will get a stamp zero as a dependent. but if this is the route you plan to take, please do not take my word for it; perhaps check with an immigration solicitor.

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 14
Share: