Notifications
Clear all

Stamp 0 person of independent means questions

140 Posts
23 Users
30 Likes
23.3 K Views
(@countydonegal)

@pam Thanks, Pam. Your response was helpful! Yes, I'll be requesting my Stamp 0 while in the U.S. but figure it may take a few months to process and I may be in Ireland by the time it gets approved (unless there is a miracle and it gets approved before I arrive). Thank you again!

ReplyQuote
(@laneiger)

Hi John, 

I thought this was an interesting question, and looked at my files. 

I looked at my initial approval letter, all it says is to sign the document, and send it in with the passport via registered post.  

I applied for my Stamp 0 from inside Ireland. As soon as I arrived in Ireland in 2019, I posted all my documents. Coming from the US you are permitted to stay in Ireland up to 90 days.  I received the approval within that timeframe. 

Once you send in your passport - it is stamped with a one year date - thus if they send your passport back in Sept., you only have until Sept the following year on that inital Stamp. 

You do have to register as soon as possible once you have the Stamp in your passport. The letter that comes with the return of the passport makes that clear. You need to present yourself to the Grada in your county. (In Dublin this is not user friendly process) 

In fact the initial letter has strong language about failure to register promptly may result in a failure to renew your permission. 

I am not sure if there is a reason you are applying from outside Ireland? 

If you apply from inside - you get three months, and then the addtional year. 

Thus - I do not know the answer to your question! From the approval letter - when do you need to send in your passport for the stamp.  It did not state a turn about time in the letter. 

I do know that my passport even last year came back quickly with the stamp. It was not unduly delayed. 

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

@laneiger Thanks, Lori.

I was just concerned with any possible delays (due to Covid and previous lockdowns/restrictions) in getting the initial Stamp 0 approval. Sounds like you're response time from the INIS was less than 90 days but that was in 2019, so not sure what the timing is now post-Covid???  I suspect that timelines and timing with Gov't processes may be an unknown for now. As a result, my initial thought was to apply this summer with an anticipated move to Ireland in late Oct. I'll be selling my house here in U.S., so that is going to take some time and effort so I really can't move to Ireland any earlier. 

Bottom line is that I'd feel more at ease if I apply prior to leaving for Ireland vs waiting until after I arrive to apply. So, if I apply this summer and I get the approval letter before I leave for Ireland, I can send that back to the INIS with my passport as soon as I arrive into Ireland. It sounds like there is no set time limit or deadline once I receive that initial approval letter but realize I'll need to register promptly once I receive back my stamped passport. I would not feel comfortable sending back my passport and initial approval letter to INIS before arriving into Ireland.

Thanks again! ? 

ReplyQuote
(@laneiger)

John, 

Welcome to the nervous wait and see club. You will be in good company as we all felt nervous while pending approval and the excitement of sending the passport in and seeing the Stamp! 

Then on to the luck joy club of living in wonderful Ireland! 

touch wood, it will go smooth. 

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

@laneiger Fingers crossed!!  Thanks, Lori!!

ReplyQuote
(@familyofrainbows)

@jaconaty1Hi Jeanine! Thanks so much for your thoughts. Much appreciated! Stay well!

ReplyQuote
(@familyofrainbows)

@countydonegal We got our passports back in about 7-10 days at the end of April 2021. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

@familyofrainbows Thanks for update!!

ReplyQuote
(@dsolvie)

@countydonegal Hi John. I was curious on your present status regarding your Stamp 0 application. I've a few questions to ask you, if you don't mind. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

@dsolvie Hi there!  I’ve submitted my request and supporting documents to the INIS in mid July. I received confirmation that they’ve received my info a few weeks later. So, I’m still waiting for final approval for my Stamp 0 request. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 14
Share: