Marrying and moving, hopefully.  

RSS

Nicholas Johnson
(@unsupervisedadult)
05/04/2018 6:51 am  

Hi all! I found this group on the all knowing Google and thought that this would be good community for me to join as I am planning on marrying an Irish citizen and hopefully sooner rather than later moving to Ireland. I've already visited a few time and I loved it. The area I stayed in (Galway) was really similar to where I grew up in the US and I am madly in love with my fiancee so it seems like a win win to me. 

About us: I'm a 31 year old machinist (with a side of mechanical design and engineering) specializing i. The set up, programming and operation of computer controlled machining centers.

Her: 35 year old mother of 3 and homemaker, with a drop dead gorgeous smile and the best sense of humor I've ever known. Also a dual UK and Irish citizen.

The information I am hoping to finf is related to marriage and immigration. Specifically how getting married (in the US) will affect my status in Ireland, whether or not its a valid marriage under Irish law, and my rights to employment in Ireland. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

As far as marrying in the US goes it seems that since she doesn't plan on staying here that it should be fairly simple, I just hope I'm not misding something. I'd like to go back to Ireland with her immediately afterwards if possible but have come up empty or just haven't looked in the right places yet.

Thanks for reading and I hope to be an active participant here!

ReplyQuote
Liam
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Prominent Member Admin
11/04/2018 5:51 am  

Welcome @unsupervisedadult It's good to have you here. Looking forward to hearing more as your move progresses

Check out my brand new Moving to Ireland FAQ Guide!

ReplyQuote
Kristin Rogers
(@kristininseattle)
19/04/2018 6:22 pm  

Marriage in the US works for Irish residency stuff. (I married my Irish spouse in Ireland, but I am pretty sure if it's a legal marriage in whatever jurisdiction it works).

They make a big deal of the stamp 4 residency not being automatic, and you do have to prove that you're married, living together and aren't showing up intending to live off the state.

We're hoping to go back later this year, and I think it will be fine, but I wish I could apply for the residency before we actually pull up stakes and go over...

ReplyQuote
Share: